As wedding style says no to same-same traditionalism, one thing we’ve noticed is that many mums of brides and grooms are still condemned to wear Mother of the Bride dresses that they wouldn’t normally be seen dead in. You know the ones we’re talking about, the ruched shiny taffeta two-pieces and the fluffy fascinators. But we say, enough is enough! So we went in search of beautiful outfits that are elegant, modern and properly stylish… and we found them! We’ve rounded up over 50 gorgeous Mother of the Bride or Groom dresses and outfits that will inspire your look and help you (or your mum) feel like a superstar!
Ever Mother noticed of the Bride dresses are always advertised by six foot tall models who are in their 30s? Pretty frustrating, right? Our round-up features real mums with great style, and gorgeous ladies we love, and who you can then follow on social media, so you can get inspiration that you can really use! Just choose a few favorites, and take them with you on your shopping trip or to a dressmaker. But first up, our top tips for rocking a fab look on your son or daughter’s big day…
Tips for Finding Your Mother of the Bride or Groom Style
- While we’ll always have a place in our hearts for a dress coat and hat combo (as you know, we’re shameless royal watchers!), if that’s not your natural style, you don’t need to wear it just because your son or daughter is getting married. Mother of the bride or groom style has evolvedand these days, long dresses, bare shoulders, jumpsuits, and separates are all perfectly acceptable.
- In this age of Instagram, many of us look to ‘influencers’ for style ideas, and just because you might be over 50, doesn’t mean you can’t take inspiration from social media. Whether it’s Irish Insta stars like Vogue Williams’ mum Sandra Wilson or mature supermodels like Maye Musk, there are lots of women online of all styles, shapes, sizes and ages, dressing beautifully and ready to inspire your own ensemble. Find someone you love and let them guide your look.
- Look to the stars too. The red carpet is a great place to find style inspiration for an event as important as your son or daughter’s wedding. Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon, Oprah, Anna Wintour, Viola Davis, Joanna Lumley – fierce, stylish, stars over 50 are plentiful, so just pick someone whose style you resonate with.
- There are no ‘rules’ for mothers of the bride or groom other than try not to wear anything that outshines the newlyweds. If the couple have a color palette to their wedding, it’s nice to keep your outfit as close to the tunes as possible (without dressing the same as the bridesmaids!).
- While we’d tend to advise mums against wearing anything too loud, bright or eccentric, if that’s your go-to personal style then you should certainly reflect it in your wedding day outfit – You want to look and feel like your own!
- dress comfortably, wear or bring flat shoes if you find heels painful, and don’t wear anything that means you’ll be too restricted to eat or dance!
- Invest in good underwear, if you’re hoping to create a particular silhouette with your look, the right bra and shapewear will make all the difference! If your outfit doesn’t fit quite right, professional tailoring can work magic too!
- Talk to the other mum. If the couple are lucky enough to have both mums attending the wedding, it’s not a bad idea to check in with the other matriarch of the family or liaise through your son or daughter to make sure you’re not dressed too alike!
- Get your hair and makeup done. Nails, tan, lashes, do whatever you want to do to make you feel like a million bucks! It might not be your big day, that doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in a little pampering and feel like a star!
- Not sure where to look for a mother of the bride outfit? Our essential list of shops and designers is a great place to start! Don’t be afraid to stray from traditional boutiques and dressmakers – bridesmaid dresses, high street options, and department stories are great places to go to for modern style.
Gorgeous Mother of the Bride or Groom Style Inspiration
Click here for our full list of places to find great mother of the bride and groom style in Ireland!